Tuesday, January 7, 2014

Well Hello Again...

I haven't blogged in a long time...sorry...life continues to be busy and I continue to want to blog and then don't get around to it! But, here I am...back for another try!

There's a lot going on in the Sally household. With 2 very busy wee ones we are constantly being challenged as parents, marriage has been hard and we are frequently being reminded we are not perfect and work has been challenging as we've both gone through a lot of work transitions over the last 2 years. Our goal is to focus on the positive in 2014 and praise God for the many blessings He has provided!

2014 could also be a rather intense year for us and I am blogging to invite you to pray for us. For close to 10 years I've been dealing with TMJ (Temporomandibular Joint) pain - the joint that clicks for those that don't have "perfect" bites. What I’ve learned over the past year is that God literally broke the mold when He created my jaw. (Smiling through the pain is my best positive coping mechanism!) It boils down to my upper jaw is extremely narrow and doesn’t come out far enough and my lower jaw is really big and comes out too far. All this causes me consistent pain currently and it’s likely that I could have some intense pain/issues in the future.

So…what does that mean..well I’ve been recommended to have orthodontics, jaw surgery and orthognathic surgery. That means I’ll have braces, have my upper jaw split and widened (first surgery), continue with braces, have my upper and lower jaws cut and sliced and diced and repositioned (second surgery) so they fit together and continue with braces until everything sets/heals/etc.

Our first prayer request is for the decision to move forward with the surgery and for our insurance company to cover the surgery. Insurance often deems this a cosmetic surgery and therefore does not cover it, we are hoping they recognize that is not my situation and cover it without a battle. I am 90% sure that I would like to pursue this surgery, but I am scared and also feel bad that I will be putting my family through a financial hardship (our portion of the surgery and braces, etc). There is no guarantee that my pain will get better, but it is the only thing I can do to prevent the pain from continuing to worsen.


2014 will be an interesting year that’s for sure! Thanks for your prayers…I will try to be better about updating my blog as a way to update y’all on all things jaw surgery related. Now for the best part…

Kate and Madden - Dec 2013
Much love,
EVRS


No comments:

Post a Comment